Scholarships for international students
Japanese Government Scholarships (MEXT)
Japanese Government Scholarships are offered by the Japanese government, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT), for the international students who study in Japan.
- Please note that the international students who are planning to apply for this scholarship need to obtain the status of residence as “student” before entering Japan.
- The monthly stipend will be 143,000~145,000 yen for graduate students and 117,000 yen for undergraduate students.
- MEXT or the university you enroll will pay the examination fees, entrance fees and tuition fees.
- University of Yamanashi accepts the only students who have embassy recommendation (application through Japanese embassies), university recommendation (application thorough Japanese universities), or are taking a Teacher Training International Student Course*.
- To obtain the embassy recommendations: The Japanese embassy or consulate in your home country starts to accept your application around March or April of the previous year of the enrollment. It is important to confirm the details with the embassy or consulate before you apply.
- To obtain the university recommendations: University of Yamanashi recommends candidates to the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology according to the guidelines announced around December. It is significant for students to prepare for application working with your academic advisors.
Scholarships for privately-financed international students: Reservation Program for Monbukagakusyo (MEXT) Honors Scholarship for Privately-Financed International Students
- This is for students who are recognized as excellent students and require financial assistance while they are enrolled in University.
- The scholarship students will receive the money from Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) through University. The monthly amount is 48,000 yen for undergraduate and graduate students. (the year of 2020)
- According to the number of international students in the University (as of May 1 every year), JASSO will decide and allocate the number of scholarship students.
- It is notified from each faculty of the student affairs group or the person in charge of international students with CNS etc., in around the middle of April every year, and apply them according to the instruction from them.
Scholarships for privately-financed international students: University of Yamanashi Doctoral Students Scholarships
- Each year, the number of recipients will be determined according to the total number of students enrolled to each major. The university as a whole accept a maximum of 5 students each year.
- The monthly stipend is 45,000 yen for a maximum of 3 years (up to 4 years for medical majors).
- The recipients will be decided by each department.
Scholarships for privately-financed international students: Private Scholarships
- The following table (PDF) shows the scholarship list which the University students can apply for. For more details, please see the announcements on CNS each time. Please refer and confirm guideline for applicants before your application.
- As the deadline in the University can be much earlier than the one for the foundation, please pay attention to the deadline.
CSC-University of Yamanashi Scholarship
University of Yamanashi (UY) and China Scholarship Council (CSC) jointly provide CSC-UY scholarship to Chinese students who are pursuing a doctoral degree or studying as an exchange student at the doctoral program at UY.
○Call for applications for the 2024 academic year. Please refer to the following application guidelines for your application.
○Application deadline: Friday, January 26, 2023 (strict deadline)
○Submission to: International Office (Room B1-225) , email@example.com
Room 225, Building B1
International Office, University of Yamanashi
4-4-37 Takeda, Kofu City, Yamanashi, 400-8510, Japan
Telephone number +81-55-220-8373/8703